Skip to main content

Word Play

My family is notorious for messing up words or making up our own. I thought it might be fun to make a list of sorts to showcase them all.

Popping The Mush ~
Years ago, when my mom worked at the Quality Shopper (a local newspaper), she'd also clean the offices after hours to make some extra money. At the time, we were going to the walking track after work. On this particular evening, I was helping her and asked if we could go when we got done. She looked at me and said "Jennifer, I'm tired. I've been popping the mush all day and I just want to go home!"
Translation ~ Pushing the mop

Embryo's ~
My brother was going to start playing soccer and told my parents that he needed a pair of embryo's for practice.
Translation ~ Umbros

Ides Are Rosey ~
As all teenagers are prone to have bouts of melodramatic actions, I've had my fair share. On this particular time, I was mad at my mom (reasons unknown now) and went storming out of the house, hell bent on running away. Slamming the door and all. It was winter and had just recently rained. I started slipping on the road and decided that maybe this wasn't the time to strike out on my own, so I came back home. Mom, in her wisdom just smiled and asked what was wrong and I told her the ides where too rosey.
Translation ~ Roads were Icy

Pimples ~
My brother was talking about the doctor putting drops in his eyes to make his pimples bigger.
Translation ~ pupils

Crackanack ~
My mom, brother and I were heading up to visit my grandparents one year and my brother wanted to wear his Halloween costume to show it off. We stopped a few miles from their house so he could put it on, but was having some issues with it. He said he had a major crackanack, which then turned into Senor Crackanack.
Translation ~ Crack Attack



Fleetwater Sweamarket ~ We were heading home from a trip to the mountains visiting my grandparents. My mom and step-dad were in one vehicle and I was riding with my dad. Mom called to ask where we were and Dad told her we where passing the Fleetwater Sweamarket.
Translation ~ Sweetwater Fleamarket

Ca-now-ma-nit ~ A high school friend lived on a Dairy Farm and we decided to go trucking through the field to go to the creek one day. Right at the gate, the ground is nothing but a sludgy mixture of mud and manure. When we were heading out, I was having difficulty navigating the sludge b/c the suction was so great. In fact, it was SO great, it actually pulled my sole completely OFF my boot. It was rather humurous so we were telling people how bad the cow shit was. I went to tell my mother and trying to clean it up a bit told her the canowmanit was so bad.
Translation ~ Cow shit to cow manure

Macoola ~ My husband was playing with our daughter one day. She went running off to her room and he yelled Macoola to get her back.
Translation ~ McKayla

Memapa ~ My brother was talking to my grandparents and as all children are prone to do, kept repeating their name, only this time it came out Memapa.
Translation ~ Mema + Papa

Dramastically ~ One of mom's coworkers came up with this word accidentally but it's another one we like so much. We use it regularly.
Translation ~ Dramatic and drastically

Surbubs ~ Mom was trying to explain to one of her coworkers that Ooltewah was a surbub of Chattanooga.
Translation ~ suburb

Diabetty ~ My Mema was telling my parents that she thoughts she was diabetic. I told her that she wasn't diabetty, she was diamema.
Translation ~ Betty is her sister.

Fart pit ~ My cousin was dating her now husband and they went to the part store to get a part for her car. While they were working on it, she walked in and asked if the fart pit.
Translation ~ Part fit

Clinked ~ You're on the computer and you clink.
Translation ~ Clicked a link

Frickets ~
This isn't one of our personal mess ups, but one we like and occasional use. A radio DJ was announcing they had frickets for an upcoming concert.
Translation ~ Free Tickets

Cdingles ~ A radio show was having a contest. The 10th caller would win a Cdingle.
Translation ~ CD single


Sometimes you have people that say words that are mispronounced, but they think they're correct:

DEB-riss ~ My mom's mother-in-law was talking about all the debriss they had to clean up after the tornadoes in Alabama.
Translation ~ Debris

Threadmill and Cartridge ~ Again, my mom's mother-in-law was going in for a stress test, but she couldn't walk on the threadmill b/c she had no cartridge in her knee.
Translation ~ Treadmill and Cartilage

These aren't messed up words per se, but just cute little things:

Mom! I can't draw on my head! ~ When I was 3 or so, I was caught drawing on my mother's sewing machine. Of course, she got mad and yelled at me saying "Jennifer! Use your head!" In which I replied, "Mom! I can't draw on my head!!"
Translation ~ I obviously took it in the literal sense LOL

Papa, sun's open! ~ When I was about 3, I spent the week at my grandparents. I slept in the bed with my Papa and I woke him up the next morning, telling him the sun was open.
Translation ~ sun's up

Butt's cracked ~ McKayla was running around playing one day and fell down on her butt. She started crying and my mother, trying to get her to laugh it off, told her "Look! You cracked your butt!" McKayla went around the rest of the day, saying her butt was cracked.


I hope you got as much of a chuckle as we did when we said them. :-D

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Great Dane Standard Through the Ages Part III ~1976~

The 1976 Official Illustrated Standard
Revised & Edited by The Great Dane Club of America, Inc. Written text AKC approved August 10, 1976 Illustrated by Donald E. Gauther - Great Dane Breeder & Judge Copyright, 1972


1. GENERAL CONFORMATION (a) GENERAL APPEARANCE. The Great Dane combines in its distinguished appearance dignity, strength and elegance with great size and a powerful, well-formed, smoothly muscled body. He is one of the giant breeds, but is unique in that his general conformation must be so well balanced that he never appears clumsy and is always a unit--the Apollo of dogs. He must be spirited and courageous--never timid. He is friendly and dependable. This physical and mental combination is the characteristic which gives the Great Dane the majesty possessed by no other breed. It is particularly true of this breed that there is an impression of great masculinity in dogs as compared to an impression of great femininity in bitches. The male should appear more massive t…

The Great Dane Standard Through the Ages Part II ~1945~

The Official Illustrated Standard of the Great Dane Club of America, INC. 1945
(Typed for easy reading below each picture which has made this post EXTREMELY long. Also, you *should* be able to click on the pictures to enlarge, but sadly still not enough to read the charts.)


BREEDERS CODED OF ETHICS as endorsed by THE GREAT DANE CLUB OF AMERICA
There are only five recognize colors; all these basically fall into four color strains: 1 FAWN and BRINDLE, 2. HARLEQUIN and HARLEQUIN bred BLACK, 3. BLUE and BLUE bred BLACK, 4. BLACK. Color classifications being well founded, the Great Dane Club of America, Inc. considers it an inadvisable practice to mix color strains and it is the club's policy to adhere to the following matings:
------------------------------------------------------------------------ FAWN TO FAWN OR BRINDLE ONLY
BRINDLE TO BRINDLE OR FAWN ONLY
Pedigrees of FAWN or BRINDLED Danes should not carry HARLEQUIN, BLACK or BLUE upon them -------------------------------------------…

The Great Dane Standard Through the Ages Part IV ~1995~

(This is the last and current Standard)

The Great Dane Illustrated Standard Approved and Published by the Great Dane Club of America, Inc. September 1995, Illustrations by Stephen J. Hubbel
An Illustrated Standard And Guide for the Evaluation of the Great Dane This booklet has been prepared by The Great Dane Club of America to assist fanciers, breeders and judges in their assessment and understanding of desired Great Dane type. Nothing in the discussions or illustrations contained herein should be construed as altering or contradicting the provisions of the Official Standard of the Great Dane adopted by this club and approved by The American Kennel Club. It is rather to be considered as a supplement to, and expansion on, the Official Standard.
The reader should remember the Official Standard describes the ideal Great Dane. In the following commentary we discus common deviations from that ideal, and the relative importance to be place on such deviations in the overall evaluation of an in…