Skip to main content

Christmas Photo Op


I'll admit that I was never much for taking pictures of the critters but then Rio came along and I take hundreds of pictures now. Maybe it's b/c I've wanted a Dane for so long and now that I finally have one it's like it's still not real and the pictures are my "proof". For whatever reason, I desperately need a new camera. The one I have is ancient and never took good pictures (especially inside) and my only other option is my cell phone....let's face it, phones aren't meant to take fantastic pictures.

Anyway, I signed up for Dane's Online Holiday Card Exchange. The last 2 years, my mom has designed cards for me (these are last years cards). Unfortunately, she wasn't able to make me any this year, time-frame and she's having difficulty getting PhotoShop to work on her PC. So this year, I just bought cards (Scooby Doo in fact :-D) and then wanted to include pictures of the mutts.

I removed the baby-gate from around the tree, removed the area rug and pushed the couch back as far as it would go to increase the chances of getting the whole tree AND dogs in the picture. John isn't a photographer (neither am I for that matter) but I wished I'd thought to have him take the pictures on the dogs level, instead of looking down at them. Oh well, they still turned out decent for a first-timer.

I had envisioned them sitting politely in front of the tree, both looking at me as I snapped the picture. That didn't work out quite as I planned. Rio would be sitting politely, but Katie would be getting up and moving OR Katie would be sitting pretty and Rio would look like he was beaten. There was a lot of "sit" and "stay" and "waits" uttered. A lot of awkward poses of me trying to get them to look at the camera (phone) while John snapped pictures over my head. And a lot of dancing trying to get them in 'just the right pose'. It ended up taking 2 hot dogs, 2 bully sticks and John taking picture after picture to finally find one that would do. (It doesn't help that I'm a perfectionist, ugh.)

In the end, I think we got a lot of equally good shots in their own right. Some really cute/good ones of Katie and Rio separate and really good ones of the two together.




\





As you can see in these pictures, Rio is done. He's wanting his treat and pouting b/c I've made him "stay".




Katie says "Ok, I'm done. Where's my treat?!"

Then my sister took 3 of them and added a border and greeting to them. The first one is the one I eventually decided on to send with the cards. Thanks again Vanessa! I love them!




And here's a couple "victory shots" of Katie enjoying her bully stick in front of the Christmas Tree. Rio, at that point, had ran for the hills with his "spoils". LOL



I hope everyone has a very Merry Christmas!!

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Great Dane Standard Through the Ages Part III ~1976~

The 1976 Official Illustrated Standard
Revised & Edited by The Great Dane Club of America, Inc. Written text AKC approved August 10, 1976 Illustrated by Donald E. Gauther - Great Dane Breeder & Judge Copyright, 1972


1. GENERAL CONFORMATION (a) GENERAL APPEARANCE. The Great Dane combines in its distinguished appearance dignity, strength and elegance with great size and a powerful, well-formed, smoothly muscled body. He is one of the giant breeds, but is unique in that his general conformation must be so well balanced that he never appears clumsy and is always a unit--the Apollo of dogs. He must be spirited and courageous--never timid. He is friendly and dependable. This physical and mental combination is the characteristic which gives the Great Dane the majesty possessed by no other breed. It is particularly true of this breed that there is an impression of great masculinity in dogs as compared to an impression of great femininity in bitches. The male should appear more massive t…

The Great Dane Standard Through the Ages Part II ~1945~

The Official Illustrated Standard of the Great Dane Club of America, INC. 1945
(Typed for easy reading below each picture which has made this post EXTREMELY long. Also, you *should* be able to click on the pictures to enlarge, but sadly still not enough to read the charts.)


BREEDERS CODED OF ETHICS as endorsed by THE GREAT DANE CLUB OF AMERICA
There are only five recognize colors; all these basically fall into four color strains: 1 FAWN and BRINDLE, 2. HARLEQUIN and HARLEQUIN bred BLACK, 3. BLUE and BLUE bred BLACK, 4. BLACK. Color classifications being well founded, the Great Dane Club of America, Inc. considers it an inadvisable practice to mix color strains and it is the club's policy to adhere to the following matings:
------------------------------------------------------------------------ FAWN TO FAWN OR BRINDLE ONLY
BRINDLE TO BRINDLE OR FAWN ONLY
Pedigrees of FAWN or BRINDLED Danes should not carry HARLEQUIN, BLACK or BLUE upon them -------------------------------------------…

The Great Dane Standard Through the Ages Part IV ~1995~

(This is the last and current Standard)

The Great Dane Illustrated Standard Approved and Published by the Great Dane Club of America, Inc. September 1995, Illustrations by Stephen J. Hubbel
An Illustrated Standard And Guide for the Evaluation of the Great Dane This booklet has been prepared by The Great Dane Club of America to assist fanciers, breeders and judges in their assessment and understanding of desired Great Dane type. Nothing in the discussions or illustrations contained herein should be construed as altering or contradicting the provisions of the Official Standard of the Great Dane adopted by this club and approved by The American Kennel Club. It is rather to be considered as a supplement to, and expansion on, the Official Standard.
The reader should remember the Official Standard describes the ideal Great Dane. In the following commentary we discus common deviations from that ideal, and the relative importance to be place on such deviations in the overall evaluation of an in…