Skip to main content

Flowers!

It's that time of year when colors galore come out of hiding. When newness and growth abound. And yes, when vehicles turn yellow and people turn blue from sneezing.

I take great pride in my flower beds. Some of these flowers were here when we moved but most of them were planted by my own hands. That's not an unusual feat in itself but if you realized how much of a green thumb I didn't have, you'd understand my sense of pleasure and accomplishment in something as simple as flowers growing where I put them. :-)

First off are my Iris's. My front flower bed started out with Dutch Iris's and while I loved their fragrant flowers I detested their leaves; spindly, thin leaves that just flopped in a jumbled mess. I pulled quite a few of them out and gave them to friends and then planted these Iris's that sport several colors of the rainbow.










Next come my Canna Lilies. These were originally right in front of my house by the water spigot. They bloomed every year but they didn't seem.....happy. I transplanted them to the bottom of the flower bed where they receive sun nearly all day. They thrived last year and I'm excited to see what they do this year.




Then come my Tiger Lilies, I love the thick lush leaves it sprouts and I'm waiting for the stalks that'll form beautiful fragrant orange flowers.



This is another Lily, but I've forgotten it's name. It doesn't grow near the size of the Tiger Lily but it's flowers are just as pretty.



I can't forget these Happy Return Day Lilies. They generally bloom first in the garden but where I had planted them last year (and where they bloomed perfectly and beautifully) was causing them to get choked out by my Iris's (garden virgin error LOL) this year. I transplanted them to the front, clear space of the flower garden this spring so I'm not too hopeful I'll see blooms this year but they should be happy in their "new" home.



Then we see my Gerber Daisy's. They took quite a hit with the Dutch Iris's choking them out and are having a hard time recouping. John doesn't like them b/c he says they look like overgrown weeds, but I smile whenever I see them bloom. (I have these vibrant reds but I also have luscious yellows and brilliant oranges...they just haven't bloomed yet.)



This little Hosta tries hard every year to be a big Hosta but never quite succeeds. I'm not sure where else to plant it and although it's not thriving, it's still trying and so I leave it be.



I have no idea what this plant is called. It was given to me by someone else that didn't know it's name. It seems to like this corner by the stairs and puts off pretty pinkish broccoli type stalks.





Then I have several snapdragon plants growing at the back of the flowerbed. I had started out with about 10 plants but only 3 survived. I'm actually pleased that any survived b/c they were looking pretty pitiful when I got them. They put off the prettiest little dragon looking flowers. When I planted them, they were alongside the house, now though, they're branching (haha) out towards my sidewalk. Doesn't really bother me though, b/c were they're growing is bare anyway.



Last but not least is this flower. Or weed. I'm not really sure what it is. It came with a bunch of Iris's I got a few years back and I liked the pretty pink flowers, so I kept it. I'd assume it's some sort of clover b/c of the shape of the leaves, but I could be wrong. It's definitely gotten bigger but doesn't seem to be choking out my Iris's (not sure anything could choke them out actually LOL) and in fact, they are starting to come out through whatever this plant is. Another thing I find interesting is that the flowers close at night (as you can see in the first picture) but then open back up every morning. It's also the first thing to bloom in my garden (even before the Iris's).




I also have/had Elephant Ears growing in the side garden but I've been battling weeds the last few years and the Elephant Ears have taken a hit. I have a few stalks growing now but the impressive part of them are their leaves, so I'll wait till another post to share their pictures.

Comments

  1. It is very beautiful. Is very beautiful. I like this style.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Great Dane Standard Through the Ages Part III ~1976~

The 1976 Official Illustrated Standard
Revised & Edited by The Great Dane Club of America, Inc. Written text AKC approved August 10, 1976 Illustrated by Donald E. Gauther - Great Dane Breeder & Judge Copyright, 1972


1. GENERAL CONFORMATION (a) GENERAL APPEARANCE. The Great Dane combines in its distinguished appearance dignity, strength and elegance with great size and a powerful, well-formed, smoothly muscled body. He is one of the giant breeds, but is unique in that his general conformation must be so well balanced that he never appears clumsy and is always a unit--the Apollo of dogs. He must be spirited and courageous--never timid. He is friendly and dependable. This physical and mental combination is the characteristic which gives the Great Dane the majesty possessed by no other breed. It is particularly true of this breed that there is an impression of great masculinity in dogs as compared to an impression of great femininity in bitches. The male should appear more massive t…

The Great Dane Standard Through the Ages Part II ~1945~

The Official Illustrated Standard of the Great Dane Club of America, INC. 1945
(Typed for easy reading below each picture which has made this post EXTREMELY long. Also, you *should* be able to click on the pictures to enlarge, but sadly still not enough to read the charts.)


BREEDERS CODED OF ETHICS as endorsed by THE GREAT DANE CLUB OF AMERICA
There are only five recognize colors; all these basically fall into four color strains: 1 FAWN and BRINDLE, 2. HARLEQUIN and HARLEQUIN bred BLACK, 3. BLUE and BLUE bred BLACK, 4. BLACK. Color classifications being well founded, the Great Dane Club of America, Inc. considers it an inadvisable practice to mix color strains and it is the club's policy to adhere to the following matings:
------------------------------------------------------------------------ FAWN TO FAWN OR BRINDLE ONLY
BRINDLE TO BRINDLE OR FAWN ONLY
Pedigrees of FAWN or BRINDLED Danes should not carry HARLEQUIN, BLACK or BLUE upon them -------------------------------------------…

The Great Dane Standard Through the Ages Part IV ~1995~

(This is the last and current Standard)

The Great Dane Illustrated Standard Approved and Published by the Great Dane Club of America, Inc. September 1995, Illustrations by Stephen J. Hubbel
An Illustrated Standard And Guide for the Evaluation of the Great Dane This booklet has been prepared by The Great Dane Club of America to assist fanciers, breeders and judges in their assessment and understanding of desired Great Dane type. Nothing in the discussions or illustrations contained herein should be construed as altering or contradicting the provisions of the Official Standard of the Great Dane adopted by this club and approved by The American Kennel Club. It is rather to be considered as a supplement to, and expansion on, the Official Standard.
The reader should remember the Official Standard describes the ideal Great Dane. In the following commentary we discus common deviations from that ideal, and the relative importance to be place on such deviations in the overall evaluation of an in…