Skip to main content

A New Blog Series: Furry Friday

I've been wanting to do a Blog Series for quite awhile but I couldn't ever think of a catchy name.......until last night.

There I was, sitting in the recliner, watching Golden Girls and thinking blog thoughts.....you know, what I want to blog about next, what story I wanted to share, normal blogger stuff. I was thinking again about a Blog Series name and going through the days of the week and just trying out different ideas.

I had some "requirements":

  • I wanted it critter related. Furry or feathered. Scaly or not. 4-legged or no legs.
  • I wanted to make it a weekly occurrence.
  • I wanted a theme of sorts, kind of like Wordless Wednesdays, Sunday Stills, Throwback Thursday, etc. 
  • And I wanted it to be easy to accomplish on an "off" week.
  • I also wanted it to be something fun and give me an excuse, a push, to keep blogging regularly.
And with all that, Furry Friday was born.

I'm still working on the "kinks" and hope to get a series picture made soon to use on each post, no real reason other than my brain says that's what you do with a blog series LOL. But I think it'd be nice for new readers to know that it's a series and what to expect.

So, for my debut "Furry Friday" blog series I give you something that's not even furry but scaly and he slithers around the ground. So, if you're not too keen on snakes, then scroll no more.

This little guy was discovered this morning while I was outside. I almost didn't see him but it was one of those moments where you think "wait, something doesn't 'belong' in this picture" and that's how he was spotted. I watched him for a good few minutes as it looked like he was trying to navigate through the grass. He'd go one way a bit and then almost backtrack on himself.






Then we were treated to this amazing sight! We watched him catch his dinner and eat it! So fascinating! I love snakes. They're such neat little creatures.




He's working on swallowing in this picture.

I sent one of the pictures to John and he said it looked like the King Snake that's been living in our yard for the last few years. If he IS indeed a King Snake, I hope he stays b/c he'll keep the poisonous snakes away. This guy has also made an appearance on my blog once before, here, where McKayla informs us that he's a boy snake.

So, how was my first "Furry Friday" entry? As I'd said, it's not exactly a furry critter I showcased but I don't want to keep it confined to JUST furry animals.

What do you think about the new series? It should be fun! :-)

Comments

  1. That's a beautiful King Snake!!! I can't tell for sure what kind of snake he's eating though.. maybe a grass snake? I like snakes, but that picture kind of gives me the heebie jeebies... could you imagine being swallowed whole like that?? Very cool picture though! That's not something you see very often. I like the new series. I'll try to join in on Friday. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, it was a little creepy watching the little guy get eaten, especially since he was so alert but I guess that's nature for ya.

      I hope you will join! Mom is supposed to be working on a badge of sorts that I can use. She better hurry, it's almost Friday! LOL

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Great Dane Standard Through the Ages Part III ~1976~

The 1976 Official Illustrated Standard
Revised & Edited by The Great Dane Club of America, Inc. Written text AKC approved August 10, 1976 Illustrated by Donald E. Gauther - Great Dane Breeder & Judge Copyright, 1972


1. GENERAL CONFORMATION (a) GENERAL APPEARANCE. The Great Dane combines in its distinguished appearance dignity, strength and elegance with great size and a powerful, well-formed, smoothly muscled body. He is one of the giant breeds, but is unique in that his general conformation must be so well balanced that he never appears clumsy and is always a unit--the Apollo of dogs. He must be spirited and courageous--never timid. He is friendly and dependable. This physical and mental combination is the characteristic which gives the Great Dane the majesty possessed by no other breed. It is particularly true of this breed that there is an impression of great masculinity in dogs as compared to an impression of great femininity in bitches. The male should appear more massive t…

The Great Dane Standard Through the Ages Part II ~1945~

The Official Illustrated Standard of the Great Dane Club of America, INC. 1945
(Typed for easy reading below each picture which has made this post EXTREMELY long. Also, you *should* be able to click on the pictures to enlarge, but sadly still not enough to read the charts.)


BREEDERS CODED OF ETHICS as endorsed by THE GREAT DANE CLUB OF AMERICA
There are only five recognize colors; all these basically fall into four color strains: 1 FAWN and BRINDLE, 2. HARLEQUIN and HARLEQUIN bred BLACK, 3. BLUE and BLUE bred BLACK, 4. BLACK. Color classifications being well founded, the Great Dane Club of America, Inc. considers it an inadvisable practice to mix color strains and it is the club's policy to adhere to the following matings:
------------------------------------------------------------------------ FAWN TO FAWN OR BRINDLE ONLY
BRINDLE TO BRINDLE OR FAWN ONLY
Pedigrees of FAWN or BRINDLED Danes should not carry HARLEQUIN, BLACK or BLUE upon them -------------------------------------------…

The Great Dane Standard Through the Ages Part IV ~1995~

(This is the last and current Standard)

The Great Dane Illustrated Standard Approved and Published by the Great Dane Club of America, Inc. September 1995, Illustrations by Stephen J. Hubbel
An Illustrated Standard And Guide for the Evaluation of the Great Dane This booklet has been prepared by The Great Dane Club of America to assist fanciers, breeders and judges in their assessment and understanding of desired Great Dane type. Nothing in the discussions or illustrations contained herein should be construed as altering or contradicting the provisions of the Official Standard of the Great Dane adopted by this club and approved by The American Kennel Club. It is rather to be considered as a supplement to, and expansion on, the Official Standard.
The reader should remember the Official Standard describes the ideal Great Dane. In the following commentary we discus common deviations from that ideal, and the relative importance to be place on such deviations in the overall evaluation of an in…