Skip to main content

New Patio

John and I had been wanting a patio of sorts, with a fire pit and chairs and such. Just a nice place to sit outside and enjoy afternoons.

As those of you who have been to our house know, there's not a whole lot of flat yard around our house. You really need flat when you're building a fire pit and adding chairs and swings.......otherwise, you'd need to level everything (and make it look right) and that starts costing some $$$$$.

The only "flat" part of our yard is up beside the house on the upper driveway side. Problem was, we had a kennel we had borrowed from a family member and a dog house we'd had for years, sitting in that spot. I've been trying to get the family member to come get their kennel (and the dog house too) but it's proving to be just as difficult to get rid of as the excavator LOL.

With the road crew working around the neighborhood the last month, I took advantage of the piles of rocks they had laying around. I asked them one day what they were doing with them and they said they'd be going to the dump. When I asked if *I* could have them, they readily agreed.

Next thing I knew, I had bobcat load after bobcat load of rocks brought to the house:


I had one goal at first for the rocks, underestimating the sheer number they'd bring me. I thought I'd only have enough to do my front flower bed, when in fact, had WAY more than I needed. (It turned out that we had plenty of rocks already around the flower bed. Oops! LOL)

So, John ended up with a great idea of what to do with some of the rocks the road crew brought us: a fire pit! So he dug a shallow hole and lined the rim with the larger rocks (boulders? What size does a rock have to be, to be considered a boulder? LOL)


We bought a couple tiki torches, to deter those pesky mosquitoes and for a little ambiance :-) and bought some wienie dog and marshmallow roasting sticks. 


I had bought a brass frog key holder on clearance awhile ago. I had originally bought it to hang my gardening tools on it but the loops ended up being too large to hang the tools from. So I thought I could use it somehow for the roasting sticks. Problem was, finding out how to hang the frogs on the brick wall.

Bugger! It's crooked! :-/

Theoretically, you could drill holes into the brick to hang it, but you needed a special bit and quite honestly, I was impatient and wanted it hung now. So then I thought I could use fishing line. By looping the fishing line through the provided holes and then tying the line back to itself, I made a loop, which I could then hang off the mortar "squished" between the bricks. Suh-weet! It's not permanent, no holes in the house and you can't see the fishing line without looking for it!

My swing was a gift from John and McKayla for Mother's Day a few years ago and it had seen better days. We hadn't taken the best care of it, leaving it outside all year long and the sun, rain, snow and all around weather took it's toll. Rio also helped a little with destroying the seat cushion. John wanted to just throw it away and buy another one but I told him that I knew I could "fix" it, after all, the frame was still in good condition, the cover was just shot.


So I got a piece of plywood from the neighbor (who was building a porch and had leftover plywood pieces) and luckily it was a perfect fit. I laid the plywood down on the frame, bought a lawn chair cover and tada, good as new. I'll eventually get another cushion for the back but it's really not bad, I'll also want to get a cover made for the top but it's under a tree where it sits, so not really needed. John wanted to take the awning frame off but I wouldn't let him as it's perfect for pulling on when you're laying down and wanna swing. LOL


My yard chairs and table were a gift from my Dad several years ago for my birthday. They've been put through all kinds of weather and have come through unscathed. The only  problem is a certain blue dog decided the corners of the table tasted mighty good when he was a pup, and chewed some of the braiding off. I just unraveled what he'd chewed and it looks good again. :-)

And so, a patio was born. :-)

That boulder (?) on the left side is large enough for us to sit on.
Perfect for roasting wienies and marshmallows. :-)

This is our current view while enjoying our new patio.
  Hopefully the excavator will be gone soon.

So that's it. We've spent quite a few evenings, roasting hot dogs and enjoying nature and each others company. :-)

(We have more plans for the rest of the rocks {wheelbarrow sized load} and I hope to get that accomplished in the next few weeks. :-D )

Comments

  1. It loos good Sis...I thought you were going to use the Great Dane thing for the grill stuff?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sis! No, I'm using the Dane thing on the porch to hang my gardening tools from and the mailbox welcome Dane is either going on the tree or side of the house by the patio (it won't fit my mailbox LOL)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Great Dane Standard Through the Ages Part III ~1976~

The 1976 Official Illustrated Standard
Revised & Edited by The Great Dane Club of America, Inc. Written text AKC approved August 10, 1976 Illustrated by Donald E. Gauther - Great Dane Breeder & Judge Copyright, 1972


1. GENERAL CONFORMATION (a) GENERAL APPEARANCE. The Great Dane combines in its distinguished appearance dignity, strength and elegance with great size and a powerful, well-formed, smoothly muscled body. He is one of the giant breeds, but is unique in that his general conformation must be so well balanced that he never appears clumsy and is always a unit--the Apollo of dogs. He must be spirited and courageous--never timid. He is friendly and dependable. This physical and mental combination is the characteristic which gives the Great Dane the majesty possessed by no other breed. It is particularly true of this breed that there is an impression of great masculinity in dogs as compared to an impression of great femininity in bitches. The male should appear more massive t…

The Great Dane Standard Through the Ages Part II ~1945~

The Official Illustrated Standard of the Great Dane Club of America, INC. 1945
(Typed for easy reading below each picture which has made this post EXTREMELY long. Also, you *should* be able to click on the pictures to enlarge, but sadly still not enough to read the charts.)


BREEDERS CODED OF ETHICS as endorsed by THE GREAT DANE CLUB OF AMERICA
There are only five recognize colors; all these basically fall into four color strains: 1 FAWN and BRINDLE, 2. HARLEQUIN and HARLEQUIN bred BLACK, 3. BLUE and BLUE bred BLACK, 4. BLACK. Color classifications being well founded, the Great Dane Club of America, Inc. considers it an inadvisable practice to mix color strains and it is the club's policy to adhere to the following matings:
------------------------------------------------------------------------ FAWN TO FAWN OR BRINDLE ONLY
BRINDLE TO BRINDLE OR FAWN ONLY
Pedigrees of FAWN or BRINDLED Danes should not carry HARLEQUIN, BLACK or BLUE upon them -------------------------------------------…

The Great Dane Standard Through the Ages Part IV ~1995~

(This is the last and current Standard)

The Great Dane Illustrated Standard Approved and Published by the Great Dane Club of America, Inc. September 1995, Illustrations by Stephen J. Hubbel
An Illustrated Standard And Guide for the Evaluation of the Great Dane This booklet has been prepared by The Great Dane Club of America to assist fanciers, breeders and judges in their assessment and understanding of desired Great Dane type. Nothing in the discussions or illustrations contained herein should be construed as altering or contradicting the provisions of the Official Standard of the Great Dane adopted by this club and approved by The American Kennel Club. It is rather to be considered as a supplement to, and expansion on, the Official Standard.
The reader should remember the Official Standard describes the ideal Great Dane. In the following commentary we discus common deviations from that ideal, and the relative importance to be place on such deviations in the overall evaluation of an in…