Skip to main content

Weekend Wrap-up ~ Nov. 18 - 31


This Weekend Wrap-up will be a little more than just a recap of the weekend but in true form, I have to stay the "same" and call Monday's post Weekend Wrap-Up LOL

So, as most of you know (at least, those of you who live in the US anyway LOL), Thanksgiving was on Thursday. We just had a small affair at our house this year. Mom and Sonny are still up in Charlotte and couldn't make it down, Leslie and her family were doing their thing at their house and while John's parents were invited, they didn't come b/c they were sick.

So it was just me and John, the kids and my Dad and brother. John and I did all the cooking (shocker!) and we had quite the spread. We had broccoli casserole and sweet potato casserole (Mom's recipe. Thanks again Mom!), stuffing, corn, green beans, peas, rolls, deviled eggs, cranberry sauce and of course a turkey. For desert, we had pumpkin pecan pie with vanilla ice cream.

John and I prepared the casseroles the night before so all we had to do on Thanksgiving was throw them in the oven once the Turkey was done. While the Turkey cooked and we piddled around the house, straightening up, McKayla and I watched the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade. It's become a tradition I dearly love. We sit on the couch and oooh and aaaah over the costumes and the floats and balloons and it just really brings everything home. I hope to make it one day to see it in person. ☺

And I must make a confession now:

I didn't take a single picture.

Not one.

I know, I know.

Bad blogger, BAD blogger!

<hangs my head in shame>

Ahem, now that I've been thoroughly chastised, let's move along. ☺

Thanksgiving dinner was great and it was nice having it at our house once again. The clean-up part sucks but it's worth it to spend time with family and enjoy the good food. ☺

On Friday, John had to work so the kids and I just had a relaxing day at home. No where to be, no where to go and I was NOT taking 2 kids out shopping on Black Friday.......I might be crazy but I ain't THAT crazy LOL

Only reason I'm including this pic is b/c of the switch to Christmas. ☺

On Saturday tho, John was off and was able to bring up my Christmas decorations!!!! I spent all day Saturday putting the decorations up and I'm still not done. I have a few more things I want to add inside and out but thought I'd share with you what I have so far.

Enjoy!

Our tree.
We almost got a real tree but after talking about it and concern for John's allergies (and possibly McKayla's), we just decided to bring up the artificial tree. We may still get a small live tree closer to Christmas. ☺



My Christmas Village.
I absolutely adore these! I don't know why, but I do. ☺ Most of these came from Leslie's in-laws (who we bought the house from) but I added the Church (3rd from left), the light poles, a few trees, the light up tree and people this year. I hope to increase my village.....I just don't know where to put them! LOL



And then my outside decorations.
I've had deer and a tree for several years but last year the deer wouldn't light up completely and the star on the tree got broke. So we went shopping and bought more. :-D We had a HECK of a time finding the doe tho. I specifically wanted the animated ones and while we could find the buck everywhere, I was starting to get discouraged on finding the doe.....until John located one at Kmart for me. Thanks hun! ☺

Need to add the other wreath......LOL




Then there's my front door. Nothing fancy, just a (crooked...oops!) wreath and my reindeer door hanger.


Even my car can't hide from my Holiday decorating! LOL

It's Kia! The red-nosed Sorento! Haha

As I mentioned earlier, I'm not completely done. I want to add my "old" deer and tree in front of the porch. I don't plan on plugging them in, since all the lights don't work but I DO plan on adding big red bows to the deer and maybe some ornaments to the tree for a pretty day time look. :-D I'd also like to get a giant wreath or a bow to put in the big gaping "hole" between the windows on the front of the house........just haven't quite figured out how to hang it with no ladder LOL

All that's left IN the house is adding garland to my pot rack (that hangs over the island) and garland around the cabinets.

Christmas has to be one of my favorite holidays (if you couldn't tell! LOL). I love the lights, the decorations, the music. I love the family get togethers and the joy I see on everyone's face as they open their gifts. The anticipation of the holiday is infectious and I absolutely love it. ☺

Have you started decorating for Christmas yet? I wanna see! :-D

Comments

  1. Vanilla ice cream.... with pumpkin pie? Together? I have never tried that before!!

    Ha I cheat on Thanksgiving! I make all of my casseroles and turkey and pies in those disposable aluminum pans... yeah not earth friendly, but it makes clean up sooooo much easier!!!

    I LOVE your Christmas decorations and tree!! So pretty! I can't get in the mood to decorate so close to Thanksgiving (my favorite holiday), so I usually wait until a week before Christmas and then leave it up for weeks afterward haha. I've never had a live tree and I don't feel deprived or anything. I have horrible allergies and it's just not worth it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oops! That was supposed to be pecan pie with vanilla ice cream LOL but it's good either way ;-)

    We kinda cheat too: casseroles are baked in the throw away pans and we used paper plates but the rest of the fixins were in containers I had to wash. Glad I have a dishwasher! Haha

    I grew up decorating for Christmas the weekend after Thanksgiving so I just kinda kept that going. I take it down a week after New Year's but at that point it's kinda depressing b/c Christmas is over LOL

    I don't think we've ever had a real tree and I kinda like the idea but worrying about John and possibly McKayla's allergies, plus worrying it'd die before Christmas just nixed the idea for us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Okay I can definitely do ice cream with pecan pie. :D

      I think a real tree is just too messy and too much trouble, but I literally can walk underneath pine trees and get a headache so it's never really even been an option for me!

      I just got my dishwasher installed the day before Thanksgiving! Talk about awesome!!!!!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Great Dane Standard Through the Ages Part III ~1976~

The 1976 Official Illustrated Standard
Revised & Edited by The Great Dane Club of America, Inc. Written text AKC approved August 10, 1976 Illustrated by Donald E. Gauther - Great Dane Breeder & Judge Copyright, 1972


1. GENERAL CONFORMATION (a) GENERAL APPEARANCE. The Great Dane combines in its distinguished appearance dignity, strength and elegance with great size and a powerful, well-formed, smoothly muscled body. He is one of the giant breeds, but is unique in that his general conformation must be so well balanced that he never appears clumsy and is always a unit--the Apollo of dogs. He must be spirited and courageous--never timid. He is friendly and dependable. This physical and mental combination is the characteristic which gives the Great Dane the majesty possessed by no other breed. It is particularly true of this breed that there is an impression of great masculinity in dogs as compared to an impression of great femininity in bitches. The male should appear more massive t…

The Great Dane Standard Through the Ages Part II ~1945~

The Official Illustrated Standard of the Great Dane Club of America, INC. 1945
(Typed for easy reading below each picture which has made this post EXTREMELY long. Also, you *should* be able to click on the pictures to enlarge, but sadly still not enough to read the charts.)


BREEDERS CODED OF ETHICS as endorsed by THE GREAT DANE CLUB OF AMERICA
There are only five recognize colors; all these basically fall into four color strains: 1 FAWN and BRINDLE, 2. HARLEQUIN and HARLEQUIN bred BLACK, 3. BLUE and BLUE bred BLACK, 4. BLACK. Color classifications being well founded, the Great Dane Club of America, Inc. considers it an inadvisable practice to mix color strains and it is the club's policy to adhere to the following matings:
------------------------------------------------------------------------ FAWN TO FAWN OR BRINDLE ONLY
BRINDLE TO BRINDLE OR FAWN ONLY
Pedigrees of FAWN or BRINDLED Danes should not carry HARLEQUIN, BLACK or BLUE upon them -------------------------------------------…

The Great Dane Standard Through the Ages Part IV ~1995~

(This is the last and current Standard)

The Great Dane Illustrated Standard Approved and Published by the Great Dane Club of America, Inc. September 1995, Illustrations by Stephen J. Hubbel
An Illustrated Standard And Guide for the Evaluation of the Great Dane This booklet has been prepared by The Great Dane Club of America to assist fanciers, breeders and judges in their assessment and understanding of desired Great Dane type. Nothing in the discussions or illustrations contained herein should be construed as altering or contradicting the provisions of the Official Standard of the Great Dane adopted by this club and approved by The American Kennel Club. It is rather to be considered as a supplement to, and expansion on, the Official Standard.
The reader should remember the Official Standard describes the ideal Great Dane. In the following commentary we discus common deviations from that ideal, and the relative importance to be place on such deviations in the overall evaluation of an in…