Skip to main content

Wintertime Blues

Ugh.

That one word describes my mood for the last several days or week. They've all kinda blended together.

Just bleh.

The sun hasn't shown it's glorious face in awhile and it's been cold. Colder than I like. Of course, I think it's cold when it drops below 70° LOL and we've had days/nights in the 30°'s and even teen digits. With no snow!!! I could handle the cold if we had snow but no, we just get cold, and rain and did I mention cold?

I know. I know. We've got it made down here in the South compared to the Northern states. Y'all are getting pummeled with snow. But y'all ALWAYS do. You're used to it. We don't get it often. It's enjoyable for us......well, me anyway. I don't have to drive in it. Haha.

So I'm cooped up in the house. Staring at the same walls. Doing the same mundane tasks of cleaning, washing dishes, laundry and all the other tasks that need to be done. (The weather doesn't have anything to do with whether or not I do household chores but they just seem even more mundane when I have to do them in the winter. Don't ask. I'm just weird I guess.)

And I'm NOT one who complains when it's 100° out and that I wish it was winter. Nope. Not me. Not in a million years. I don't like winter. Never have. It's dreary and dank and sad looking. The ONLY good things about winter are Thanksgiving and Christmas. 

So, with nowhere to go and no one to hang out with, my wintertime blues have really hit. I spend my days, after taking McKayla to school, lazing on the couch watching TV....in between those mundane tasks I mentioned above, of course.

AND I'm having to watch Katie age before my eyes. She's stumbling and falling more. She's sleeping more. She seems to be losing her bearings and body awareness.....knocking up against walls and furniture. She gets on pacing kicks were she'll just circle the couch or bar over and over. She's pretty much not housebroken anymore, not letting me know she has to go and just squatting wherever and then she's walked in it during her paces and tracked it everywhere (thank goodness for hardwood flooring). She's still eating good (although she's losing weight) and drinking good and has rare bouts of puppy energy but I'm still losing her. Nothing we can really do either, unfortunately it's just life.

So I'm just in a horrible funk. I have no energy. I don't WANT to go anywhere, even if I could. The weather has been dreary and I'm watching my girl die.

Rio knows. They used to rarely lay together, now
they do all the time.

Bleh.

(Sorry for the doom and gloom post. I generally try to avoid sharing these kind of posts but if I'm blogging about my life, it isn't always sunshine and rainbows. Sometimes it's storm clouds and rain.)

Comments

  1. You sound so much like me it is scary (cold when it's below 70, hate winter, no sunshine, etc. all makes me sad too)! I could have written this very post last winter when I was watching Storm die right before my eyes. I'm so sorry. Dang this has me crying all over again. It still feels like yesterday sometimes, even though it's been almost a year. There is nothing you can do about it except spend as much time with her as you can. I didn't think there was any way I would know when Storm was ready to go, but I did. I'm thinking of you and Katie. *hugs* Also look into vitamin D supplements for the winter blues. Most people are deficient and even though it could never make you love winter, it does make it more bearable to take vitamin D. Hang in there girl.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks girl. I guess a lot of us suffer around this time of year, the monotony if it all starts getting to us. I just don't remember it ever affecting me THIS much but I also didn't have an old dog to watch die. Ugh. It's awful and I didn't mean to bring back painful memories of losing Storm. It's hard. It's life and it SUCKS. But you deal with it the best you can and keep moving on. :-)

      Delete
    2. It's okay. It doesn't take someone saying something to bring it back. Just letting you know I completely understand what you're going through. If you ever need to talk you can email me. Since this year is worse than normal I would definitely check into the vitamin D deficiency. It helped me a lot. :)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Great Dane Standard Through the Ages Part III ~1976~

The 1976 Official Illustrated Standard
Revised & Edited by The Great Dane Club of America, Inc. Written text AKC approved August 10, 1976 Illustrated by Donald E. Gauther - Great Dane Breeder & Judge Copyright, 1972


1. GENERAL CONFORMATION (a) GENERAL APPEARANCE. The Great Dane combines in its distinguished appearance dignity, strength and elegance with great size and a powerful, well-formed, smoothly muscled body. He is one of the giant breeds, but is unique in that his general conformation must be so well balanced that he never appears clumsy and is always a unit--the Apollo of dogs. He must be spirited and courageous--never timid. He is friendly and dependable. This physical and mental combination is the characteristic which gives the Great Dane the majesty possessed by no other breed. It is particularly true of this breed that there is an impression of great masculinity in dogs as compared to an impression of great femininity in bitches. The male should appear more massive t…

The Great Dane Standard Through the Ages Part II ~1945~

The Official Illustrated Standard of the Great Dane Club of America, INC. 1945
(Typed for easy reading below each picture which has made this post EXTREMELY long. Also, you *should* be able to click on the pictures to enlarge, but sadly still not enough to read the charts.)


BREEDERS CODED OF ETHICS as endorsed by THE GREAT DANE CLUB OF AMERICA
There are only five recognize colors; all these basically fall into four color strains: 1 FAWN and BRINDLE, 2. HARLEQUIN and HARLEQUIN bred BLACK, 3. BLUE and BLUE bred BLACK, 4. BLACK. Color classifications being well founded, the Great Dane Club of America, Inc. considers it an inadvisable practice to mix color strains and it is the club's policy to adhere to the following matings:
------------------------------------------------------------------------ FAWN TO FAWN OR BRINDLE ONLY
BRINDLE TO BRINDLE OR FAWN ONLY
Pedigrees of FAWN or BRINDLED Danes should not carry HARLEQUIN, BLACK or BLUE upon them -------------------------------------------…

The Great Dane Standard Through the Ages Part IV ~1995~

(This is the last and current Standard)

The Great Dane Illustrated Standard Approved and Published by the Great Dane Club of America, Inc. September 1995, Illustrations by Stephen J. Hubbel
An Illustrated Standard And Guide for the Evaluation of the Great Dane This booklet has been prepared by The Great Dane Club of America to assist fanciers, breeders and judges in their assessment and understanding of desired Great Dane type. Nothing in the discussions or illustrations contained herein should be construed as altering or contradicting the provisions of the Official Standard of the Great Dane adopted by this club and approved by The American Kennel Club. It is rather to be considered as a supplement to, and expansion on, the Official Standard.
The reader should remember the Official Standard describes the ideal Great Dane. In the following commentary we discus common deviations from that ideal, and the relative importance to be place on such deviations in the overall evaluation of an in…