Skip to main content

Out With The Old and In With The New

We've been in our house about 11 years or so. It's an older house, built in the 80's and it shows it in places.

We've done what we can, here and there, to "update". As with everything, money has been our biggest roadblock.

We've been slowly making it our own; painting the living room, dining room (picture pepto bismal pink. Belgh. It's now a pretty purple's ghost) and kitchen. Painting the guest bathroom McKayla's bathroom and her room. OUR room and bathroom and Chris' room still need painting (an embarrassing thing to admit). And our basement/garage is still full of my Sister-in-law's, in-laws stuff and our brother-in-law's stuff.

Yup, you read that right.

We bought our house from John's sister's in-laws and some of their stuff, along with her husband's stuff, is still in our basement. 11 years later. Hopefully that'll finally be rectified this spring/summer.

Anyway, we're slowly updating and making it our own. First major update was ripping out the carpet.

This next update was the kitchen. We got a new to us white side-by-side fridge and a new black dishwasher (b/c John was unclogging the sink and somehow bleach backed up into my old dishwasher and ate the trays. I wasn't too upset, since I got a new dishwasher out of the deal LOL) a few years ago but the bane of my existence, the thing I despised the most, was my 30 year old stove. Hideous I tell you.

Stoves aren't cheap, if you haven't looked lately. So I suffered with this one. Clock didn't work anymore. The control knobs were falling off. The oven would work but barely and the eyes only half worked. Not to mention the nasty drip pans that had to be replaced every so often b/c no amount of scrubbing would totally clean them PLUS the burned on stains on the top of the stove that I'd scrubbed and scrubbed and scrubbed to no avail.



See?

Hideous.

The other "issue" in the kitchen were my cabinets. I'd wanted to update them too. They're a dark wood and I wanted brighter. Buying new cabinets seems ridiculous when these still function but painting them scares me.

The one issue with the cabinets is the hinges are old and my cabinets would. Not. Stay. SHUT. Bugged me to no end. The handles were pretty ugly looking too.


See?

Ugly.

I think they were supposed to be pearl like but they had brown flecks. They just looked old. Probably were LOL

But now I have a pretty stove and pretty cabinets!! 

Behold the prettiness! Behold the gorgeousness! (Behold the horrible cell phone pics of my pretty stove and handles LOL)




I'm beyond amazed how much "newer" my cabinets look with new hardware. Whoddathunk?! LOL You can't tell in the picture, but the edges have a little bit of gold flaking.

And my stove is so pretty and so smooth and so NEW. Haha.

Funny how priorities change. I used to be thrilled about getting a new toy or new clothes but what makes me happy NOW is new appliances! LOL

And am I the only one who reads new appliance manuals cover to cover? LOL

Comments

  1. I normally read appliance manuals cover to cover, but since we had so many new ones when we built the house I got sick of it and quit lol. I feel you on the stove thing for sure!! I went from an old mustard yellow stove that had buttons instead of knobs to one similar to your new one. It's awesome!!!! Those buttons were a pain because there was a low and three other buttons. There was no in between like the knobs!!!! It made cooking a total pain in the butt. Congrats on your kitchen updates! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad I'm not the only one! John laughs at me when I read them LOL

      Yikes on your old stove. I bet you were beyond thrilled to say goodbye to that one! Haha. When the guys brought my new stove, I laughed about how agent my old one was and one of them said they probably didn't even make parts for it.....it was THAT old! LOL Good riddance! :-)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Great Dane Standard Through the Ages Part III ~1976~

The 1976 Official Illustrated Standard
Revised & Edited by The Great Dane Club of America, Inc. Written text AKC approved August 10, 1976 Illustrated by Donald E. Gauther - Great Dane Breeder & Judge Copyright, 1972


1. GENERAL CONFORMATION (a) GENERAL APPEARANCE. The Great Dane combines in its distinguished appearance dignity, strength and elegance with great size and a powerful, well-formed, smoothly muscled body. He is one of the giant breeds, but is unique in that his general conformation must be so well balanced that he never appears clumsy and is always a unit--the Apollo of dogs. He must be spirited and courageous--never timid. He is friendly and dependable. This physical and mental combination is the characteristic which gives the Great Dane the majesty possessed by no other breed. It is particularly true of this breed that there is an impression of great masculinity in dogs as compared to an impression of great femininity in bitches. The male should appear more massive t…

The Great Dane Standard Through the Ages Part II ~1945~

The Official Illustrated Standard of the Great Dane Club of America, INC. 1945
(Typed for easy reading below each picture which has made this post EXTREMELY long. Also, you *should* be able to click on the pictures to enlarge, but sadly still not enough to read the charts.)


BREEDERS CODED OF ETHICS as endorsed by THE GREAT DANE CLUB OF AMERICA
There are only five recognize colors; all these basically fall into four color strains: 1 FAWN and BRINDLE, 2. HARLEQUIN and HARLEQUIN bred BLACK, 3. BLUE and BLUE bred BLACK, 4. BLACK. Color classifications being well founded, the Great Dane Club of America, Inc. considers it an inadvisable practice to mix color strains and it is the club's policy to adhere to the following matings:
------------------------------------------------------------------------ FAWN TO FAWN OR BRINDLE ONLY
BRINDLE TO BRINDLE OR FAWN ONLY
Pedigrees of FAWN or BRINDLED Danes should not carry HARLEQUIN, BLACK or BLUE upon them -------------------------------------------…

The Great Dane Standard Through the Ages Part IV ~1995~

(This is the last and current Standard)

The Great Dane Illustrated Standard Approved and Published by the Great Dane Club of America, Inc. September 1995, Illustrations by Stephen J. Hubbel
An Illustrated Standard And Guide for the Evaluation of the Great Dane This booklet has been prepared by The Great Dane Club of America to assist fanciers, breeders and judges in their assessment and understanding of desired Great Dane type. Nothing in the discussions or illustrations contained herein should be construed as altering or contradicting the provisions of the Official Standard of the Great Dane adopted by this club and approved by The American Kennel Club. It is rather to be considered as a supplement to, and expansion on, the Official Standard.
The reader should remember the Official Standard describes the ideal Great Dane. In the following commentary we discus common deviations from that ideal, and the relative importance to be place on such deviations in the overall evaluation of an in…