Skip to main content

A Horse of my Own

It probably comes as a surprise to some of you but I've dreamed of owning a horse for years. For as long as I can remember, horses have been my passion. Any time I can spend on or around a horse is Heaven to me.

I wasn't lucky enough to grow up around horses but I did collect as many books and figurines (Breyer models, mainly) as I could; I still have every one of them too. When my Dad would go off to smoke school (something he had to do every few years for work), he'd always bring me and my brother back a gift. I always got horses, sometimes Breyers, sometimes My Little Pony's and sometimes Fashion Fillies.

I dreamed of riding on a daily basis. On trips, I'd daydream that my horse would be galloping along side the car as we sped down the freeway. I'd picture him/her flying like the wind; mane and tail flowing so beautifully. He/she would be so fast that she could race ahead to a nice, lush grassy area to graze and wait for us to catch up. He/she could also jump on top of the car and ride and rest whenever needed.

One year in school, I met a girl that had the same passion for horses that I did and we'd spend hours and hours playing out different scenarios with our Breyer horses. Red Lips, a nondescript dark bay mare and Pony Boy, a beautiful palomino stallion were pretty prominent in our stories. Bashful, the little paint pony and her colt and filly, Pepper and Blackface played quite a bit too. There were escapes from stables (they were free spirits of course), battles with lions and herd hierarchy squabbles.

Then she got a horse of her own. We would spend hours grooming and caring for Chance, a pretty bay Arabian saved from a meat truck. She had a strong dislike for men but fine with women. My friend did a lot of work and made a lot of progress with her. When she had her moved to stables closer to home, we spent even more time with Chance and the other horses at the stables; Tennessee Walking Horses. Show horses. High-stepping, rough riding but oh so beautiful horses. Commissioner was "my" horse. He was a beautiful big black boy and I'd ride him for hours. He was an old guy by the time we met him but was still going strong. She and I would take trail rides around the horse farm, her on Chance and me on Commissioner.

She and I would daydream about moving to Montana and starting up a riding stable. She'd be the trainer and I'd be the bookkeeper and help wherever it was needed. Our stable would be geared towards disabled children and people, giving them a little bit of freedom. We envisioned a beautiful stable full of horses of all sizes and colors.....plenty to choose from for our clients. We'd take trail rides through the forests and have parties and just all around horsey fun.

Sadly, you grow up and sometimes you grow apart. She and I don't talk anymore but I still look back on our adventures with fondness.

But I haven't out grown my love for horses. I still daydream from time to time of having my own horse. I envision them in my pasture (when I have one.....that's partially why I DON'T have horses right now LOL). I envision the things we'd do; maybe just a quiet hack through the woods or just spending time grooming or even just watching them graze.

I don't have a particular color or breed or type that I daydream about. He/she is pretty nondescript in my minds eye. Nothing flashy but maybe that's b/c I'm waiting till my dream comes true?

You'd think that, living where I do, in the semi-country, I'd find people that had horses. But you just can't walk up to someone's house and say "Hey! I like horses! Wanna be my friend?" That's kind of frowned upon LOL

So, I follow horse blogs, a LOT of horse blogs (one just has to look to the right and see the list and it keeps growing LOL) and I start reading them from the beginning. I have to live vicariously through other bloggers that HAVE horses. I learn about their horse(s) and themselves. I watch them grow in their abilities and I watch their horse(s) grow in their confidence. I share in their tears and their triumphs (silently, I don't post often but I'm getting better! LOL). It's all I have right now.

So, those of you with horses. Those of you able to fulfill your dreams of having a horse, whether on your own property or boarded somewhere.....don't take them for granted. Remember that there are a lot of us horse-crazy girls out there that aren't so lucky.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Great Dane Standard Through the Ages Part III ~1976~

The 1976 Official Illustrated Standard
Revised & Edited by The Great Dane Club of America, Inc. Written text AKC approved August 10, 1976 Illustrated by Donald E. Gauther - Great Dane Breeder & Judge Copyright, 1972


1. GENERAL CONFORMATION (a) GENERAL APPEARANCE. The Great Dane combines in its distinguished appearance dignity, strength and elegance with great size and a powerful, well-formed, smoothly muscled body. He is one of the giant breeds, but is unique in that his general conformation must be so well balanced that he never appears clumsy and is always a unit--the Apollo of dogs. He must be spirited and courageous--never timid. He is friendly and dependable. This physical and mental combination is the characteristic which gives the Great Dane the majesty possessed by no other breed. It is particularly true of this breed that there is an impression of great masculinity in dogs as compared to an impression of great femininity in bitches. The male should appear more massive t…

The Great Dane Standard Through the Ages Part II ~1945~

The Official Illustrated Standard of the Great Dane Club of America, INC. 1945
(Typed for easy reading below each picture which has made this post EXTREMELY long. Also, you *should* be able to click on the pictures to enlarge, but sadly still not enough to read the charts.)


BREEDERS CODED OF ETHICS as endorsed by THE GREAT DANE CLUB OF AMERICA
There are only five recognize colors; all these basically fall into four color strains: 1 FAWN and BRINDLE, 2. HARLEQUIN and HARLEQUIN bred BLACK, 3. BLUE and BLUE bred BLACK, 4. BLACK. Color classifications being well founded, the Great Dane Club of America, Inc. considers it an inadvisable practice to mix color strains and it is the club's policy to adhere to the following matings:
------------------------------------------------------------------------ FAWN TO FAWN OR BRINDLE ONLY
BRINDLE TO BRINDLE OR FAWN ONLY
Pedigrees of FAWN or BRINDLED Danes should not carry HARLEQUIN, BLACK or BLUE upon them -------------------------------------------…

The Great Dane Standard Through the Ages Part IV ~1995~

(This is the last and current Standard)

The Great Dane Illustrated Standard Approved and Published by the Great Dane Club of America, Inc. September 1995, Illustrations by Stephen J. Hubbel
An Illustrated Standard And Guide for the Evaluation of the Great Dane This booklet has been prepared by The Great Dane Club of America to assist fanciers, breeders and judges in their assessment and understanding of desired Great Dane type. Nothing in the discussions or illustrations contained herein should be construed as altering or contradicting the provisions of the Official Standard of the Great Dane adopted by this club and approved by The American Kennel Club. It is rather to be considered as a supplement to, and expansion on, the Official Standard.
The reader should remember the Official Standard describes the ideal Great Dane. In the following commentary we discus common deviations from that ideal, and the relative importance to be place on such deviations in the overall evaluation of an in…